Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainable Development
The Company is conscious of its responsibilities towards the communities in whose midst the manufacturing and business operations are conducted. Community development initiatives are undertaken to improve the quality of life of people in the surrounding areas. Some of these initiatives which are in the areas of education, community development and cultural enrichment include :
- Planting trees in and around various plant locations across the country towards proving a clean and green environment.
- Adoption of Anganwadis in the villages near the plant.
- Distribution of books, school bags, shoes, clothes, grains, undertaking guidance workshops, awarding scholarships to deserving students and extending financial help to nearby schools for better quality education, hygiene and all-round development of children.
- Providing free water tanker service to nearby villagers and drinking water facilities at public places specially during the summer season.
- Water sprinkling done on village roads and water harvesting activities carried out to increase ground water level in near-by areas.
- Providing materials for construction/renovation of religious institutions nearby the plants.
- Providing fire tenders in case of emergencies in the nearby villages.
The Company is committed to the best sustainable development practices and incorporating these into its business strategy and operations and to fostering sustainable development awareness and responsibility among our stakeholders, including employees, clients and suppliers. The Company is conscious of its responsibility towards creating, maintaining and ensuring a safe and clean environment for sustainable development. In furtherance of its objectives, the Company is committed to :
- The management of impact by carrying out scientific and efficient mining.
- Ensuring proper extraction, utilisation of ground water and conservation of ground water resources.
- Addressing social impacts of our resettlement and rehabilitation requirements for taking up mining activities.
- Local community engagements and welfare programs.
- Steps taken for progressive and final mine closure.
- Adoption of international standards.
Sustainable Development Units are created for all mines owned by the Company with members from diverse functions - technical, finance, CSR, HR and environment to ensure implementation of the aforesaid objectives.